Google+ Followers

Thursday, 13 October 2016

Hard Work

They own the culture and the counter-culture
They feed you all your trends
They're the pistol shots at the start of every revolution
And they're still there when it ends

Your bid for freedom was predicted even orchestrated
By the same chains that got you bound
If prison guards want something to shoot at
They just plan a break-out

Hard work's only hard work when you're working
Working smart ain't working hard at all
They say life's sweet up there on top of the pile, but from down here
It just looks like a long way to fall

They say the poor are a burden on the working man
And point their fingers at those working the hardest
They drain the blood of the art scenes and music
Parading through the streets with the corpses of the artists

They told the princesses to stop kissing frogs
They dried the lake and closed the dog pound
Now these strays ain't got nowhere to go
Except dumpsters and the cold, cold ground

Hard work's only hard work when you're working
Working smart ain't working hard at all
They say life's sweet up there on top of the pile, but from down here
It just looks like a long way to fall

They bought all the rebels and the outlaws
And those that couldn't be bought, they shot
Martin Luther King was assassinated by the CIA
9/11 was an inside job

I don't know how to fix this mess
I'm just a wino whining for a bottle
I'm food for worms, I got one foot in the grave
And I'm looking for rent money to borrow

I'm a misfit and an outcast
I'm the piece of the puzzle you think you lost
Congratulating yourself cos you're almost done
But I was never even in the box

When the farmer left the gate open
I'm the horse that jumped the fence
He retired on the insurance pay
And I rode off into the sunset

But when your feeling lost or pointless
When that hollow blackness grows in your heart
Look for wild horses near the horizon at twilight
They're eating prison guards


No comments:

Post a Comment