Google+ Followers

Thursday, 23 December 2010

We Ain't Ever Gonna Die



I heard your boyfriend said he's gonna kill me
'Cos it was his daddy's bank that we robbed
I couldn't understand why he didn't want to kill you too
It must have been love

So we ran away to the hills
Made our bed up on the mountainside
We spent our days making faces out of the clouds
And we'd count them stars at night

I made you a wedding band of daisies
And you tore me up a crown
I can't see the river for the moonlight
On the wrong side of these railings looking down

Where you said throw ourselves to the river
It wouldn't kill us if our love was strong
Then you told me 'bout 118 people died
In the 1947 flood
(God, you're wild)

Hey, Wildchild, keep your hair black it suits you
Makes your eyes glow dark when you say what's on your mind
I know it might sound stupid but it just adds to your beauty
When you say, "We ain't ever gonna die"

Summer went quick and Winter rolled back in
We headed back to the city for some place warm to stay
I called up my best friend from a payphone
He said he just got himself a new place and the rent was paid

One day it rained so hard we didn't leave the house
But we soon ran low on cigarettes
So you ran down to the liquor store in the rain barefeet
Your white dress soaked through against your chest
(God, you're wild)

Hey, Wildchild, you're prettier than sunshine
But it's your darkness that outglows all that boring light
I know it might sound stupid but it just adds to your beauty
When you say, "We ain't ever gonna die"

You were gone way too long
So I ran down to the street
And pushed past them plain-faced strangers of the liquor store
Where the blood pooled at my feet

I knocked them people down
As they fought to save your life
And I screamed, "Oh, God, please don't take my wildchild from me
'Cos I ain't strong enough to get by"

The air inside the liquor store went cold
And rain fell heavy like iron outside
You raised your hand and you brushed it against my cheek
And said, "We ain't never gonna die"

(Then you died)

5 comments:

  1. I really love this one Dan. It seems odd that I spent the first 40 years of my life not knowing you. Your words, voice and music, are such big parts of my life now. Thank you my friend. Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was haunting. Your voice, the emotion, my God, it hurt listening to that, but in a good way.

    I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was really amazing. I had to play it 3 times. I am so glad I found your site while visiting Philip.

    Your talent is raw but refined at the same time. I can honestly say I have not ran across another on here that comes close to the skill you have for poetry/songs

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazingly talented, the song, the words, the poetry.

    ReplyDelete